History of our School
Burrington village nestles at the foot of the Mendips in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty; the school is at the centre of the village, with close ties to the Holy Trinity Church.
Burrington is a Voluntary Aided School and owes its foundation to the Church of England one and a half centuries ago.
An extract from the Trust Deed for the school dated 1856 states that:
The premises to be used as a school for the education of poor children of both sexes in
principles of the Christian religion according to the doctrines and principles of the United Church of England and Ireland.
The Church retains a strong interest in the School and, as well as being responsible for
the fabric of the building, takes an active part in the School’s affairs. The Vicar regularly leads our collective worship.
Friday’s celebration worship is held in the church when a member of the church joins us
and the school often uses the church for special services including harvest, Christmas and Easter.
Members of the local community are invited to school functions and support the school in
a variety of ways, including running the school library. The school is involved in the village fayre and the children provide the maypole dancing which forms a central part of the fayre.
The original school building was constructed in 1818. It was rebuilt in 1854 when the School House was added. The School has continued to develop its facilities throughout the years.
The well-maintained building has four pleasant classrooms, a library/small groupwork
room and our Sky Room which is for music lessons and small group work. We have a purpose built classroom for our Reception and Nursery children enabling them to go outside to learn as well as learning in a beautiful classroom. The School has the use of the Village Hall for meals, P.E. and productions and has an excellent playing field and all-weather area to the rear of the Church.
There are two separate playgrounds attached to the School. The School is well-equipped and has a computer network and an interactive whiteboard in each classroom.
In November, 2018, Burrington Primary became jointly federated with Wrington Primary school under the leadership of Sarah Joskey.
In January, 2023, the Federation of Burrington and Wrington joined the Lighthouse School Partnership (LSP) Academy.